Serves as liaison between patient and hospital staff; assists patients in interpreting hospital policies, procedures, and services, and in obtaining solutions to problems and concerns
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Maintains established policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program and safety standards.
- Assist in developing goals, objectives, and standards for the position of Patient Liaison.
- Daily serves as designated liaison between patients and the hospital, through whom patients may voice their problems and concerns in person or on the phone.
- Interprets and explains to patients and their families the philosophy, policies, and procedures of the hospital.
- Assists in referring patients to appropriate services and resources and responds personally when other alternatives are not available.
- On a daily basis identify and assess problems that may arise; investigates and directs inquiries and complaints to appropriate hospital staff members.
- Encourage understanding and adherence by both staff and patients to the hospital’s philosophy on patient’s rights and responsibilities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Visits patients and an appropriate family member in the Emergency Department.
- Daily enters concerns of patients into the Midas electronic program.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
B.S. degree preferred. Must have the ability to interact well with all customer groups. Self-motivation is required. Must enjoy working with the public. Knowledge of hospital systems preferred. Must have the ability to react appropriately in stressful situations. Must be able to keep information confidential. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
Must be able to listen objectively listen and record information while listening and focusing on upset customers on a daily basis. Requires ability to communicate orally. Must be able to walk and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to sit and enter documentation electronically into Midas system. Must have normal or corrected vision to read patient information on chart and billing accounts. Color vision desired but not required. Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range. Able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Frequent contact with other: deals with internal and external customers, face-to-face discussions, and telephone communications. Possible dealings with unpleasant or angry people and conflict situations/resolutions.