Responsible for the preparation of a variety of regular and modified, cooked and baked products for patients and other customers. Cleans and sanitizes equipment and work area.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Performs all duties of an Assistant Cook.
- Promotes/coordinates standard & special set up and layout of buffets & stations of food items as set out by Manager/ Supervisor.
- Competent in managing requisitions for food & supplies, menu maintenance and recipe maintenance of specific food stations
- Proficient in use & set-up of all equipment related to production of and superior customer service as regards specific stations (carving board & lamps, patio grills, butane burners, pizza oven, etc)*
- Prepares and cooks a wide variety of foods following standardized recipes to achieve required taste, appearance and nutritional standards
- Quickly & accurately adjust recipes through basic cooking principles & elementary mathematical skills
- Constantly maintain work area and equipment in a clean, sanitary condition
- Promote customer service through effective completion of assignments according to schedule & time lines
- Effectively understand and follow oral & written directions
- Proficient in use of all equipment related to production of food and superior customer service (grills, ovens, steam table, mixers, dish machine, etc.)
- Maintains, promotes & enforces HAACP program in assigned areas including proper storage & temperature maintenance, time & task schedules & cleaning schedules; must complete & update ServSafe course
- Ability to perform duties of cooks assistant, server and janitor as well as limited bakery & pastry responsibilities
- Reconciliation of food usage through hands on administration & tracking resources & systems
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System and Nutritional Services Policies and Procedures.
- May requires working variable shifts.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
High School graduate or equivalent preferred. Able to read and write English and understand and interpret follow detailed written and oral instructions. Two years experience as a cook preferred. Able to operate a variety of food service equipment such as fryers, choppers, steamers, etc. ServSafe certification required.
Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
May work in a hot humid environment. Work area temperatures may exceed 90 F. May be exposed to temperatures lower than 0 F on occasion. Risk of injury from sharp objects, hot surfaces, caustic chemicals and moving heavy parts and equipment
Medium Work. Required to stand, walk, kneel, sit or stoop with good balance on tile floors for extended periods of time. Must lift objects weighing 50 lbs on an occasional basis and 35 lbs. on a regular basis. .
Frequent contact with staff members by telephone and face-to-face. Works both independently and as part of a team. Responsible for proper food handling practice to ensure safe food is served to patients. Must clearly and coherently communicate with staff of all ages.
Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range. Able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation.