Responsibilities primarily include, but are not limited to, the a-la-carte cooking of patient meal requests. This includes the preparation, cooking to order, plating, and garnishing of all patient and other orders that are processed on the Room Service line. This position will also be required to recognize, prepare, and strictly adhere to cooking procedures for all modified patient diets. Further duties will require new menu implementation for any area in Nutritional Services, i.e. - patients, cafeteria, doctor’s lounge, catering, etc. Responsibilities include following recipes, cooking and preparing proper amounts of food while controlling proper portion control and controlling waste. Clean cook’s uniforms and hair nets or hats must be worn and are considered part of the enforced dress code. This position will require strong time management, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Prepares patient food requests arriving via a thermal printer, to order according to established recipes using a variety of equipment and multi-step cooking methods within a strict time frame.
- Does all prep work keeping work area organized and supplied with all needed items.
- Personal accountability for all items prepared for proper quality, eye-appeal, temperature, taste, garnishing, etc, of all food prepared.
- Records all temperature logs for food, equipment, etc., to comply with JCAHO and the Health Department’s very stringent standards and requirements and takes action as required by policy.
- Cleans and sanitizes equipment and work area daily as scheduled or assigned.
- Rigidly adheres to proper hand washing policies.
- Clean neat uniforms including hair restraints will be required at the start of each shift.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System and Nutritional Services policies and procedures.
- Responsible for active participation in performance improvement standards.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
High School graduate or equivalent is preferred. Must be able to read and write legibly, speak, and comprehend
English. Must be able to understand, interpret, and follow detailed written and oral instructions. A minimum of three
verifiable years experience in quantity cooking with a major emphasis on ala carte or short order cooking preferred.
Employee must be able to safely operate a variety of food service equipment such as fryers, choppers, ovens,
steamers, etc. Knowledge of food service terminology and extensive hands-on experience using food service
equipment is strongly encouraged. ServSafe class is required and to score a minimum of 75% on the written test.
Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
Environmental: May require working in a hot humid environment around food service equipment for most of shift. Will also require going into walk-in refrigerators at <40 degrees and walk-in freezers at <0 degrees for extended periods of time; possible risk of injury from sharp objects, hot surfaces, steam, cleaning/sanitizing agents, and moving equipment.
Medium work. An individual must be able to exert 20 to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10 – 25 lbs. of force frequently on a regular basis. Physical requirements also include the abilities to stand, walk, kneel, sit, or stoop, and reach over head with good balance on tile floors for extended periods of time. Physical presence onsite is essential. Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range. Also must be able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Psychological: Constantly be able to work in close proximity and communicate well with coworkers. This position will occasionally require interaction with external customers like, doctors, patients and patient families, staff, etc. and occasionally dealing with unpleasant people.