Position Title: Plumbing Apprentice
Reports To: Project Manager
Employment Classification: Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt, Hourly
Position Grade: Class A-1 to Class A-4
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Summary of Duties:
The Plumbing Apprentices shadow under a Journeyman Plumber for two years before they are eligible to sit for their journeyman test. This position will also be highly encouraged to register for the electrical program with Skill Trades of West Alabama. This position assists Journeyman Plumbers with installation and repair of residential and commercial plumbing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to repair pipes.
- Unclog drains
- Plumbing duties that are in accordance with federal, state, and local plumbing codes.
- May be required to assist with basic electrical wiring
- Work under supervisor of a Plumber qualified to do such work.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED).
- Knowledge of residential and commercial codes and proper application; knowledge of proper plumbing safety preferred but not required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Driver’s License to include active liability insurance.
- Successful completion of required criminal record and motor vehicle record background checks.
- Ability to pass a drug screening.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
- Ability to work in a fast pace environment.
- Ability to multitask.
- Loud noise levels.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff, management and clients.
- Ability to interact with others with positive professionalism.
- Ability to accurately read and understand technical instructions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with internal and external customers.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, customer-focused work environment; ability to balance workload with technicians’ and customers’ needs.
- Ability to establish rapport with customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion with information.
- Ability to read and understand documents such as policy manuals, safety rules, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must have strong math skills.
- Ability to utilize common-sense understanding in order to carry out written, oral, or diagrammed instructions.
- Ability to take timely action to effectively solve problems, using established policies and procedures.
- Time Management skills.
- Ability to adapt and take on new assignments as needed.
- Capable of handling multiple tasks and assignments with time constraints.
- Ability to work in constant state of alertness.
- Must be reliable, punctual and trustworthy.
- Reflect attendance dependability.
- Maintain professionalism at all times.
- Ability to work effectively in office and field work.